Our Brazilian FMX rider Marcelo Simões strikes gigantic rock’n’roll festival. The Best Whip champion from the FIM Freestyle of Nations showed his tricks at João Rock, a major festival that annually takes place in Brazil.
The final round of the 2015 European Championships couldn’t have ended in more spectacular fashion, with 12 riders competing at the 7th and final round of competition and three riders in the race to claim the overall championship, Czech Republic’s Petr Pilat, the German Luc Ackermann and Brice Izzo from France.
Of the three riders in the hunt, Brice Izzo would hand in his cards first, putting together a solid run, but just not enough to crack into the top 6 final and sealed his 3rd place in the overall championship. This gave Petr Pilat and Luc Ackermann some breathing space coming into the final. The Ackermann family celebrated early also, with Luc’s older brother and the winner of yesterday’s NIGHT of the JUMPs competition, Hannes Ackermann again taking pole position, as the one to beat coming into the Finals. Libor Podmol, Jose Miralles and Marc Pinyol completed the final top 6 qualifiers.
The stage was set for the Round 7 battle, with Libor Podmol wanting redemption from last night’s crash and to steal the win from Hannes Ackermann who was last night’s winner. The German put together another brilliant run, perhaps even better than last nights with the inclusion of the 360 Nac and a huge Cliffhanger Flip.
But it would not be enough to claim back-to-back wins for Ackermann, instead Libor Podmol dished an impressive run stomping big technical flip tricks and up-right combos. Coupled with Volt on the Double-Up, Podmol appeared untouchable, despite such a brilliant run from Ackermann.
You can find all videos, photos and press releases in your language in the Red Bull X-Fighters Newsroom or just share the content from our social media channels (see below a list of links).
If you have missed the action, you can watch the Live Replay on www.redbullxfighters.com or Red Bull TV. Red Bull TV is available on connected TVs, gaming consoles, mobile devices and more. For a full list of supported devices visit http://about.redbull.tv/
Additional Rider Quotes
1. Clinton Moore is the man to beat this year. He is keeping his nerves together and constantly delivered runs with the most difficult tricks, even premiering the Volt-to-Nohand-Lander in the finals. „I had a lot of pressure and my run was gnarly, but the other guys had a lot more pressure on themselves. I knew what I can do and it paid off. But to take my second win is unbelievable. Honestly, coming here with Josh Sheehan being back and Tom Pagès bringing his new trick, I would have been happy with a podium. My gameplan will not change for Madrid: to stay focused and not put pressure on me.“
2. Tom Pagès set the world on fire by not only stomping the first ever Alley-Oop Flair in a competition, but also adding the Bike Flip, a Flair off a dirt takeoff, a Special Flip and more insane tricks into one single run. A crash in the final on his first jump kept him from the win, even though he continued his run. „It was a difficult event after my two crashes on the Alley-Oop Flair in the qualification and I was not sure if I can land it. But today went really good, but then I made a mistake on the Bike Flip in the finals. Actually I wanted to show even more new tricks, but will bring them to Madrid hopefully.“
3. Rob Adelberg celebrated his return to the tour with a podium spot, backing up his third place from the qualification. „I came here confident and fit and brought my California Roll, that I was working on. I am blown away that I got third with such a high level of riding going on tonight. I am working on a new trick, I have a month until Madrid now, so I will knuckle down, work on it and hopefully we will see me stomping it in Madrid!“
4. David Rinaldo impressed with very technical tricks like the California Roll, Volt, Doublegrab Flip, Onehand Takeoff to Indy Seatgrab Flip and a big variety while always being in control. „It was a bit stressful for me, because I wanted to show my new tricks. Now I am proud of myself and pretty happy, this is my best result so far at Red Bull X-Fighters.“
5. Josh Sheehan showed a quarterfinal run that would probably have beaten anyone anywhere, anyone but Tom Pagès with his crazy and innovative trick arsenal. So the reigning world tour champion and winner of the Athens qualification had to pack his bags after the quarters. „I was very happy with my run and did it the best I could do it. The qualification was a funny situation and I was wondering if I should aim for the number one spot or settle with less. Now I can say it would have been better to hold back a bit so I would not meet Tom so early. The level of riding is so high, I will continue to work harder and bring some more new stuff.“
6. Dany Torres had a close battle against Rob Adelberg, barely missing to advance into the semi finals. „This week was amazing and it was very special to ride in this special place. I just did a little mistake, but was happy with my run. Now it is time to spend time in my foampit at home to bring a new trick for Madrid.“
7. Adam Jones was unhappy after losing the quarter final against Rob Adelberg. „I am happy about my run and felt great, probably the best I could have done. Me and Rob were close and Rob had a good run, I have a lot of respect for him but I think I should have won that. I am a little upset about the judging, but what can I do?“
8. Levi Sherwood had a difficult quarterfinal against later winner Clinton Moore due to his bad luck in the qualification and had to call it a night early on. He showed the Superman Egg Roll as his newest trick. „I had a hard time in the qualifiers yesterday but went out and did what I wanted, Clinton just got the better end of me. The riding level here was huge! I am disappointed that I did not advance to the next round, but that’s it.“
9. Rémi Bizouard just missed advancing to the quarter finals by 0.2 points. „I learned a lot this week. It was hard for me to find the right line and I could not show all my tricks, but I only can blame that on me. I was close to advance to the next round, but Tom did amazing tricks while I felt I was riding on a basic level, so it is okay that he went on. I am looking forward to the next event already.“
10. Javier Villegas entered the main competition in spite of a hard crash in the qualification. „It could have been worse. I am disappointed that I did not make it to the quarter finals, but I am happy that I am not injured badly. This just motivates me to practice some more.“
11. Nick Franklin filled in for the injured Maikel Melero and received the invitation just a few days before the event. „I just had one day of practice after I got the invitation. I am super happy that I got invited and the Red Bull X-Fighters see me on a level that I am good enough to come here. I am happy with my run and did myself pride.“
12. Chris Meyer put his name on the landscape with an energetic and spectacular run after getting the invite on tuesday evening replacing the injured Taka Higashino. „I am really happy about the invitation and my riding, but not happy about the judging. I hope I can also go to Red Bull X-Fighters in Madrid and do much better.“
The third event will take place on July 10th in Madrid, Spain.
On Friday, NIGHT of the JUMPS opened the final weekend of Freestyle Motocross for the European Championships at the o2 World in Hamburg, Germany and the fireworks started early on in the evening. With Hannes Ackermann, Lukas Weis and Luc Ackermann, the three German riders were met with rapturous applause. For Lukas Weis, this weekend in Hamburg will be the conclusion of his competition career, retiring from NIGHT of the JUMPs in his home nation. Unfortunately it was not enough for him to go to the finals, however, the other two German riders were able to make it through with brilliant qualification heats. The two were firing on all cylinders and were catapulted to the top two spots of the qualification.
we are happy to fill you in with some insider-news after todays qualification at the second stop of the Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour in Athens, Greece.
Rider updates and the epic track
The original rider line-up changed slightly with Maikel Melero and Taka Higashino unfortunately pulling out of the event past week due to injuries, handing over the spots to Nick Franklin (NZL) and Christian Meyer (ESP). Twelve of the best riders in the world, including seven former Red Bull X-Fighters event winners, battled out the start order for tomorrows main event in todays qualification. The biggest course within the Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour 2015 challenged the riders with plenty of jumps and options.
track explanation clip: http://www.redbullxfighters.com/en_GR/video/astounding-greek-track-explained.
Qualification results and report
1. Josh Sheehan (AUS), 86.20
2. Clinton Moore (AUS), 85.70
3. Rob Adelberg (AUS), 82.90
4. David Rinaldo (FRA), 82.30
5. Dany Torres (ESP), 82.20
6. Adam Jones (USA), 82.00
7. Levi Sherwood (NZL), 81.30
8. Remi Bizouard (FRA), 79.40
9. Nick Franklin (NZL), 78.80
10. Chris Meyer (ESP), 76.90
11. Tom Pagès (FRA), 64.60
12. Javier Villegas (CHI), 50.20
The reigning World Tour champion Josh Sheehan came back swinging at his first appearance in the 2015 season by winning the qualification in the Dionyssos Marble Quarry over Mexico winner Clinton Moore and Rob Adelberg, a clean sweep for the Aussies! Tom Pagès tried to land his newest quarterpipe trick, the Alley-Oop Flair, twice but went down both times.
Leading up to the event in Athens Clinton Moore did not feel under pressure and said „I have shown what I am capable to in Mexico, now the others need to deliver“ and he seemed to be right after the first round of qualification: Josh Sheehan did a mistake and pulled a Dead Sailor Flip, Tom Pagès even crashed at the first jump of his run when he shot into the dark sky attempting to land the first ever Alley-Oop Flair in competition and heading out next Levi Sherwood also had a small crash when he landed a bit short after a Turntable. Clinton Moore instead showed a very good run including the Volt, Flair, a 360, huge Tsunami Flip and Dead Sailor Flip.
Nevertheless the struggling opponents fixed their bikes and minds and all went out for their second run. Sheehan came back swinging by stomping not only tricks like a huge Tsunami Flip, but also landing the first ever Double Backflip onto greece ground, which helped him to win the qualification in front of Moore. Pagès went again for the Alley-Oop Flair, crashing again, but this time he was able to continue his run. Attempting a Flair out of a vertical dirt lip he crashed for the second time in his run, a massive flatspin 360 afterwards did not help much with his score anymore. Sherwood also struggled a bit again. He finished a full run including a amazing Superman Egg Roll over the transfer quarterpipe, but messed up one of his backflips over the superkicker and only finished on 7th position, barely making it directly into the head-to-head round of fridays main event.
Like Sheehan his countryman Rob Adelberg also celebrated his return to the world tour by finishing on 3rd position after one of his signature runs with perfect executions and plenty of style, but also adding the California Roll body varial into his run and proving his critics wrong. Frenchman David Rinaldo is another rider who had his first appearance in this years season, finishing on 4th position, also including a California Roll in his run as well as a big Double Seatgrab Flip and other tricks with great extension. Dany Torres and Adam Jones also made it straight into the head-to-head round, finishing on places six and seven while Remi Bizouard, Nick Franklin, newcomer Chris Meyer, Tom Pagès and Javier Villegas will battle for the remaining spot during the first round in which only right side up tricks and one „Joker-Trick“ are allowed.
Also check http://www.redbullxfighters.com/en_GR/article/aussie-attack-greek-qualifying or www.redbullxfightersnewsroom.com for a press release and pictures.
The main event is sold out, so 10,000 spectators in the Dionyssos Marble Quarry will witness an epic battle for the win. But no worries, everybody can watch it LIVE on redbullxfighters.com, Red Bull TV and TV stations around the world.
Red Bull TV will broadcast from the Quarter Finals on starting 9:00 pm CET. Red Bull TV is available on connected TVs, gaming consoles, mobile devices and more. For a full list of supported devices visit http://about.redbull.tv/
And here is a special treat for our hard-core FMX fans: See all the runs from 1st round exclusive on redbullxfighters.com at 8:30 pm CET.
Starting Times Red Bull TV around the world:
June 12: Canada: 11:30am (PST) | Mexico: 01:30pm (CST) | Brasil: 03:30pm (BRT) | Europe: 08:30pm (CET)
June 13: Japan: 03:30am (JST) | Australia: 04:30am (AEST) | New Zealand: 06.30am (NZST)
Remember: The exclusive 1st round coverage on www.redbullxfighters.com starts half an hour earlier.
Please note that the broadcast is geo-blocked in the USA, but will be shown exclusively on Fox Sports 1
Video on Demand: The entire competition will be available as a VoD right after the event on redbullxfighters.com and Red Bull TV. In the US right after the event was aired on Fox Sport 1.
News Room: www.redbullxfightersnewsroom.com
The world’s most extreme motocross freestyle series will take Hamburg by storm on the weekend of June 12th/13th, 2015. For the fifth time, the extreme NIGHT of the JUMPs athletes will take to the air high up under the roof of o2 World when Hamburg once again becomes the venue for the grand finale of the FMX championship just as it was two years ago. Two grand prix competitions, at the end of which the new FMX European Champion will be crowned, will bring the extreme sports scene in northern Germany into focus.
A quarterpipe is to be constructed for the first time in Hamburg’s o2 World, enabling riders to perform tricks like the 540. That should help young German rider Luc Ackermann enormously. He has mastered the Flair and with good results in Hamburg could even finish up on the European championship podium.
Australian FMX lady rider Emma McFerran will prove to be a sensation in Hamburg as the first woman ever to contest a NIGHT of the JUMPs championship. Can the world’s best lady rider in the field pull off a minor upset in the battle against the best male FMX athletes?
The Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour is going into round number two and for the first time to Greece. Attached the official press release, find the release in your language in the Red Bull X-Fighters Newsroom. And here is the link for the event-trailer: http://www.redbullxfighters.com/en_INT/video/epic-championship-battle-continues-athens.
The track: riding on a new level
We expect a new level of riding, in fact we expect three levels of riding because the tracklayout in the stunning Dionyssos Marble quarry in Athens will have exactly that. Take an exclusive preview at the gigantic track by watching the track animation clip: http://www.redbullxfighters.com/en_INT/video/exclusive-preview-gigantic-quarry-track . As always you can download it as well at the Red Bull X-Fighters Newsroom.
The 8 former champions are ready
We are very happy to have eight former Red Bull X-Fighters winners in the lineup to battle it out in Athens. Clinton Moore is relaxed after his premiere win at the season kick-off in Mexico City and will spent a few days practicing on australian home turf before he heads to Europe. „The pressure is not on me, it is on the others. I have delivered and it is their need to catch up“, he said. Levi Sherwood has worked not only on his own performance, but also started to reduce weight on his KTM. A set of titanium flip levers reduced the weight on the handlebar by a couple hundred Gramms and makes the bike more flickable. Tom Pagès is said to have another new trick off the quarterpipes in his pockets, we can only wait and see what it might be. Reigning Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour champion Josh Sheehan is back in the series after sitting out the first round. But he has proven last year that he is able to make very good use of the scratch result that every riders has and is focused to be on top again. He has written history lately by succesfully landing the first ever Triple Backflip on a motorcycle. But also the rest of the riders have sharpened their program to fight for a spot on the podium. Frenchmen Remi Bizouard and David Rinaldo as well as Australias Rob Adelberg have added body varials into their routine lately and Spaniard Dany Torres is always a threat. And never count out Taka Higashino, Adam Jones or Javier Villegas.
Red Bull X-Fighters Athens will broadcast LIVE on redbullxfighters.com, Red Bull TV and TV stations around the world. Red Bull TV is available on connected TVs, gaming consoles, mobile devices and more. For a full list of supported devices visit about.redbull.tv
Exclusively on redbullxfighters.com
June 12 – 8:30 pm (CET)
120 minutes incl. exclusive Round 1 coverage
Red Bull TV
June 12 – 9:00 pm (CET)
90 minutes from Quarter Finals on
Please note that the broadcast is geo-blocked in the USA, but will be shown exclusively on Fox Sports 1.
Content to expect in the next days
We will constantly fill the www.redbullxfightersnewsroom.com now with plenty of media content fr you to use, these are the highlights in the next days:
WED 10/6 Teaser Jump Pictures and Track Building Clip
THU 11/6 Track Explanation Clip,
FRI 12/6 Winning Run, Action Clip and international News Release & Pictures
SAT 13/6 Event Clip and POV Clip
MON 15/6 Best Runs 2 & 3
WED 17/6 Best Tricks
FRI 19/6 Story Clip
News Room: www.redbullxfightersnewsroom.com
Jerez became the world capital of motorsport, hosting the FIM World Cup competitions in Enduro, Superbike and MotoGP. Tonight, it was time for the NIGHT of the JUMPS FIM Freestyle MX World Championship to arrive in Southern Spain. It is the first time a World Championship has been hosted inside a bull-fighting ring, the Plaza de Toros, and with 20,000 cheering fans, they were treated to an exciting 8th round of competition on Saturday.
Ten of the best NOTJ athletes came together to compete in the first outdoor contest of the season, including the local Spanish heros, Dany Torres, Jose Miralles and Marc Pinyol. However, the reigning World Champion, Maikel Melero was unable to start after suffering a hard fall in training, requiring treatment in hospital.
In the final, the Body Varial specialists would prevail. Third place went to Libor Podmol (CZE) who featured a huge run including all of his tricks including his Volt body varial, the technical SuperCan Backflip and a transfer whip out of the Quarter Pipe. It left only the two Frenchmen to try take the win, Remi Bizouard and David Rinaldo. Remi attacked the course to take down Podmol and with a huge Ruler Flip, Cliffhanger Flip and Hart Attack Indy Flip, Remi wowed the Spanish crowd. After busting out the Volt body varial in the Double Up, it looked as though Remi would sure be the winner of the day.
But Rinaldo knew how to counter, displaying a California Roll to No Hander on the first jump, Rinaldo unleashed a stylish run including impressive whipped out tricks including his Mase-Twist to Hart Attack combo and then transferring from the Super Kicker to the 21 metre landing ramp, Rinaldo whipped out a big Indy on the transfer. David then finished with the Double Hart Attack Flip on the Double Up and finish the night with 411 points, 7 points ahead of his compatriot, Bizouard.
With his triumph in Andalucia, Rinaldo takes the lead in overall World Championship standings, forcing Maikel Melero back to second place. Fortunately, Melero suffered only a broken collarbone from his horror crash and we hope that he will return very soon to NIGHT of the JUMPs.
Credit: NIGHT of the JUMPs
May 23rd 2015 marks the premiere of the NIGHT of the JUMPs in Spain! Athletes from the world’s most extreme sports FMX series will go head-to-head in the eighth competition of this year’s FIM Freestyle MX world championship in the bullring at Jerez. The Spanish grand prix is the first event to take place outdoors this year. It’s eleven years since the NIGHT of the JUMPs was last staged in an arena similar to this one when the Coliseum in the French town of Nîmes formed the backdrop for the world’s best FMX athletes back in 2004. This will be the riders’ first outing in a bullring, and the track will also be arranged differently to suit the surroundings. How will the riders deal with such an unfamiliar setup? We’ll soon see!
Spanish superstar Dany Torres will be ‘match fit’ in time for the NIGHT of the JUMPs premiere in Spain and should be one of the favourites to secure a podium. Reigning world champion Maikel Melero will also be eager to prevail in his home grand prix. He has already won four world championship competitions this year and heads the overall standings. Jose Miralles and Marc Pinyol complete the quartet of Spanish riders. Perhaps we’ll see Pinyol pull off the world’s first Inside Roll in competition in Jerez?
The Rockstar energy Milot Land tour kicked off their 2015 season last Saturday at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, Canada. The line up included Mike Mason, Dustin Miller, Gabriel Villegas and Éric Laplante. The rider’s showcased their best tricks in front of thirty five thousand Canadians enthusiastic fans.
For tour date visit www.milotlandtout.com